Topics covered in this Blog:
Smartphones have been an essential part of life now for everyone. Mostly each and every person holds one. And mobile phones can be connected to any activity of life through different applications from health to entertainment and big calculations to marketing. Then how can Access Control Solution be different? Using mobile phones in Access Control Systems is not the new buzz in discussing readers and credentials.
Electronic access control companies are promoting the different ways that mobile technology, soft or virtual credentials can be used to replace touch-based biometric or cards. It is not surprising that all the companies are trying to get in the queue of different credentials through mobile phones such as Face Recognition, Bluetooth, QR code, or PIN.
Today, we are going to discuss the Bluetooth base Access Control System in depth.
Profiling and Authentication Method using Bluetooth
For using Bluetooth technology in access control, developers use Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) for performance and high energy efficiency. The operation of access control via Bluetooth technology requires direct communication between the Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone and the door controller using a mobile application or software. As Bluetooth-enabled smartphones continue to multiply as standard means of connection and communication between devices, a natural progression will be the use of mobile phones as electronic keys. The ubiquity and personalized nature of smartphones has made them the ideal and touchless Bluetooth credential for physical access control.
Every smartphone has its unique ID which can be used as a PIN/key for authentication. This process is called Profiling which is done through software. The enrollment process is the one-time process that takes place during the installation of the mobile application, from then on, the web-based application controls access to the Bluetooth device.
Benefits of Bluetooth based Access Control System
- You just need to gesture with your smartphone in the range of the Bluetooth-enabled door controllers to get access. Ultimately it becomes easy and time-saving for the employees.
- No constraint in the number of users in comparison to biometric access control solutions.
- Works where biometric devices are difficult to use.
- Requires one-time Bluetooth pairing.
- Secured communication between mobile and device.
- Works on mobile’s unique IMEI number.
- Access control using Bluetooth technology using the smartphone will reduce the cost of hardware like readers. Only software profiling is enough to use your mobile phone to operate/authenticate access control through door controllers.
Research shows that the use of Bluetooth-based phones is continuing to get increased in the future. Currently, also those not having them are already the exceptions. They are unquestionably going to be a major component in physical access control.
You can contact us regarding any query or comment in the comment box given below. Share your thoughts related to new access control technologies and we will love to hear from you.